This wine is produced only in the best vintages from a careful selection of grapes from the Pianrosso vineyard and it has always been our most representative wine. From this single vineyard we also select the grapes for our Brunello Riserva.
Vineyard The Pianrosso vineyard covers 11,69 hectares (29,22 acres). The soil is medium grain with good levels of marl, dating from the Eocene period. The altitude of this large vineyard varies from 240 to 360 metres above sea level.
- Grape varietal 100% Sangiovese
- Fermentation and refinement: In stainless steel and glass concrete vats, temperature-controlled via cooling plates and jackets.
- Ageing: Roughly 36 months in 20 - 62 hl Slavonian oak barrels, followed by over 8 months of bottle refinement.
- Colour: Ruby red verging on garnet.
- Organoleptic characteristics: The bouquet is intense, complex, fruit-forward and spicy with hints or ripe red berry fruits enriched by various spicy notes. Warm, soft and harmonic on the palate. Great balance among pronounced tannins, acidity and savouriness. This elegant wine has great potential for further cellar ageing.
- Service: Open an hour before pouring and serve at 18°C (64,4° F) in large crystal glasses. Bottles should be kept in a horizontal position, far from light sources and protected from both extremes and changes in temperature.
- Food pairings: Great companion of stewed and roasted meat and game (such as hare, pheasant and wild boar). Excellent with mature cheeses.
- Technical notes: Bottles are protected against counterfeiting by a hologram on the capsule.