Ciacci Piccolomini 2012 d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Pianrosso 1.5L MAGNUM
97 points James Suckling
“This is all about finesse and beauty with such great length and polish. It literally melts in your mouth. Full-bodied yet agile and vivid. So many undertones of cedar, berries, cream and light toffee. Fabulous. Contender for the wine of the vintage. “(12/2016)
95 points Wine Enthusiast
“Ripe black-skinned fruit, underbrush, truffle and dark spice aromas come together in this full-bodied red. The palate is firm and seamless, delivering mature black cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and pipe tobacco flavors with both power and finesse. Tightly knit, polished tannins provide structure. Drink 2022–2032.”
94 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
“Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona is one of the headline estates of Montalcino and the Pianrosso single vineyard is known for its consistency and the steady grace of its performance. The 2012 Brunello di Montalcino Vigna di Pianrosso does not quite reach the heights of the outstanding 2010 vintage. This release comes near in terms of power and purity, although it bears some of the weight of the hot vintage. The darkness of fruit is more pronounced and the tannins are a bit softer. Make no mistake, the thick soils of the Pianrosso site have helped to achieve impressive balance. The long finish offers tobacco, balsam herb and dried fruit. (ML)” (2/2017)
93 points Wine Spectator
“This red balances juicy cherry and plum fruit, tobacco and leather accents, and firm yet pliable tannins. As a result, this is vibrant and long, with earth and iron elements emerging on the aftertaste. (BS)” (4/2017)
92 points Vinous
“Good full red. Captivating nose combines dark red berries, sweet spices, botanical herbs and licorice. Sweet and sappy but still youthfully closed, his conveys a more powerful mouth filling saline impression of extract than the Brunello classico. Finishes suave and rich, but with a strong underlying acid-tannin spine providing support.” (3/2017)
This wine is produced only in the best vintages from a careful selection of grapes from the Pianrosso vineyard and it has always been our most representative wine. From this single vineyard we also select the grapes for our Brunello Riserva.
Vineyard The Pianrosso vineyard covers 11,69 hectares (29,22 acres). The soil is medium grain with good levels of marl, dating from the Eocene period. The altitude of this large vineyard varies from 240 to 360 metres above sea level.
- Grape varietal 100% Sangiovese
- Fermentation and refinement: In stainless steel and glass concrete vats, temperature-controlled via cooling plates and jackets.
- Ageing: Roughly 36 months in 20 - 62 hl Slavonian oak barrels, followed by over 8 months of bottle refinement.
- Color: Ruby red verging on garnet.
- Organoleptic characteristics: The bouquet is intense, complex, fruit-forward and spicy with hints or ripe red berry fruits enriched by various spicy notes. Warm, soft and harmonic on the palate. Great balance among pronounced tannins, acidity and savouriness. This elegant wine has great potential for further cellar ageing.
- Service: Open an hour before pouring and serve at 18°C (64,4° F) in large crystal glasses. Bottles should be kept in a horizontal position, far from light sources and protected from both extremes and changes in temperature.
- Food pairings: Great companion of stewed and roasted meat and game (such as hare, pheasant and wild boar). Excellent with mature cheeses.
- Technical notes: Bottles are protected against counterfeiting by a hologram on the capsule.