L'Ecole No 41 2014 Estate Ferguson
FREE shipping on 6 or more...
95 PTS - Wine Advocate
92 PTS - Wine Enthusiast
90 PTS - Decanter
Ferguson is L’Ecole No 41’s newest single vineyard estate Bordeaux blend from the Walla Walla Valley. In the tradition of Perigee – Seven Hills Vineyard and Apogee – Pepper Bridge Vineyard, Ferguson reflects a unique micro-climate and geological profile. This wine shares its name with our newest estate vineyard, also called Ferguson, of which L’Ecole is the sole wine producer.
Ferguson Vineyard is a stunning, high elevation site overlooking a panoramic view of the Walla Walla Valley. With 30 acres planted, vines are rooted in fractured basalt rock from 15-million-year-old ancient lava flows overlaid with a thin layer of wind-blown, glacial loess. The vineyard is Certified Sustainable and Certified Salmon Safe.
- The 2014 vintage was a repeat of the warm 2013 vintage with heat units nearly identical, and no unusual winter frost, pest, or disease pressure.
- Bud break was early, followed by a warm spring and relatively early bloom. Fruit set was near ideal. Slowing tactics were implemented such as delayed thinning and leafing to delay veraison and ultimately harvest.
- Temperatures cooled mid-August stretching out the hang-time to complete veraison. Berry size and berry count per cluster were slightly up resulting in healthy crop yields.
- Modest fall day-time temperatures and cool nights resulted in a rich and vibrant structure with bold color development. Overall warmer conditions delivered ample sugars and surprisingly strong acids, particularly in our higher elevation sites.
- Over 30 years of meticulous vineyard management and winemaking experience are fundamental to the quality of our wines and reputation for excellence. We are engaged in growing and making 100% of our wines.
- Each lot was hand harvested ripe and gently crushed into 1.5 and 5 ton opentopped stainless steel fermenters.
- Gentle handling of the fruit through hand punch downs and gravity assisted movements were utilized throughout the entire winemaking process.
- The wine was cleanly racked to 100% small French oak barrels, 50% new, with five rackings over 22 months
Ferguson’s flavor profile is distinctly influenced by its basalt soil. This wine offers complex aromas of espresso, tobacco, and dark fruit with flint and graphite minerality. Intricate layers in the mid-palate are balanced with natural acidity leading to a robust and lingering finish